and big hands to run an equine organization. Whether you are focusing on running a rescue, rehabilitation center, or occupational therapy nonprofit, you might need a lot of land, food, and access to many other resources. Being a nonprofit can increase your access to grants and donor support. Our firm has worked with many animal welfare organizations and is familiar with the specific challenges new equine organizations must face.
The first thing to consider is, are you ready to start a new 501(c)(3)? Not only is starting a Horse Rescue or Equine Nonprofit Organization the same as operating any business, working with these horses can require a strong physical and emotional commitment by you and your future volunteers. It is a good idea to identify a specific purpose for the organization. You may want to save every animal, but choosing a more specific purpose can make the organization more successful in its goals and able to grow in the future.
Representatives from our firm will work with you through out the process from incorporation to obtaining tax exempt status. We will work together to create a fundraising plan and projected budget including salaries and other compensation, a narrative description of your programs and activities including meeting Internal Revenue Service requirements regarding real estate and leases.
Some of our previous Equine Organizations:
Sadie’s Horse Haven
White Barn Project
We cover all areas of 501c nonprofit legal needs
- Incorporation, bylaws, budgets, minutes for initial directors’ meeting, and other startup documentation (routinely within 2-3 weeks of retainer)
- Establishing Tax Exempt Status at the federal and state level (IRS response within 60-120 days of filing)
- Guidance and instructions in maintaining corporate formalities and keeping your nonprofit status over the long term
- Continuing representation and consultation including employment, real estate, leasing, and contract issues (Ask us about our on-call attorney retainer program as a way to address your legal concerns in a cost effective and timely manner)
- Compliance review – entailing review of bylaws, state and federal filings and representation when organizations are out of compliance
- Accounting; IRS and state filings (990, 8734, etc.) If you have questions about our services, or you would like to schedule an appointment to discuss how we can serve you, please contact us anytime.